Mr. & Mrs. A.H. Duvall were an average young couple with a promising automobile dealership in Pennsylvania. Their only child "Choppy", was born with Down Syndrome
, and at that time, it was the practice of doctors to recommend institutionalization.
But their loving, compassionate hearts rebelled. "Our home will be his home, and we will keep him, love him, and try to make him happy!" And to this end, they ordered the pattern of their lives
The Duvall Home for individuals with developmental disabilities was founded in 1945 by Mr. & Mrs. A.H. Duvall in Satsuma, Fl. The Duvall's established the home as a result of their refusal to place their son with developmental disabilities in an institution.
In 1945, the Duvalls moved to Satsuma, Florida to begin operating a home for developmental disabled children. They lived in an old residence with 17 children in their care. In 1952, on faith and a borrowed $20,000, they moved their growing family into larger quarters located on a five-acre tract in Glenwood, Florida, near DeLand. As the Duvalls aged, they became concerned about the future of the Home and as a result they incorporated as a non-profit 501c3 organization with a strong affiliation with the Presbyterian Church.
The fundamental philosophy instilled by Mama and Papa Duvall continues today. Love remains the unbending measure of care among the more than 200 staff members and the active volunteer programs.